Sunday, April 10, 2011

Where's the Beef?

Anyone who knows me would never expect that I would ever stop eating meat. In fact- there were times in my life that I would've eaten steak for every meal if I could! Before we moved to Texas, I was worried that because the area is known for such great steaks and BBQ- I was destined to gain at least 10 lbs over the summer. I knew I was moving to the red meat state- and I was going to experience it!

Somehow- the opposite happened.

Oddly enough- over the past 6+ weeks that we have lived here, I have accidentally become a vegetarian! The day that my mom and I arrived in Texas, we all went out to a steak house on our way from the airport to our apartment. I think it was called "Salt Grass" if I remember correctly. Anyway- it was really really good. I ate a huge steak, and thought "Now I'm in Texas!".

After that day though- I have consumed absolutely nothing even resembling meat, poultry or fish. I have no idea why this happened! I definitely didn't do it on purpose. In fact- I didn't even notice it for a month. Every night I would make dinner for Jake and the kids and It always consisted of some type of meat with veggies or pasta. I just never felt like eating it. I always found something else that I wanted to eat. (Usually almonds, popcorn, or yogurt)

Today I was sitting on the couch after church, snacking on my plain salad mix, and two little boys nestled up right next to me and started munching on the plain lettuce with me. I said "Jake! What have I done? We are a family of rabbits!" Luckily, right before our feast of greens, the boys had finished a plate of pepperoni. That's balance right?

So here I am. A vegetarian. Living in Dallas, Texas. Weird huh?

Anyway- We had another great week. Weather in the 90's, playing with new friends, craft projects with the kids, etc. Jake had a great week, especially for April, selling 19 accounts! Things are good, and knowing that I am going home in June for 2 weeks, makes it easier to be without my family.

No comments: