Sunday, May 15, 2011

Our new family member

"Di-wen"

Jake's friend Dylan Davis (most often referred to as "Di-wen" by Jess) came to Dallas to work with Jake for the summer. Before the beginning of May, I can't say that I knew him very well. He and Jake have worked together for the past couple of years, but hadn't really spent much extra curricular time together. I had only met him once. It didn't matter. As soon as Dylan got here were were all instantly good friends. Dylan is over here in the morning before work reading scriptures with our family, and comes here at night after work to eat dinner and hang out. He even brought venison (Deer) steaks with him from Boise, that he hunted himself, and cooked them for us last weekend. Anyone who knows me, knows there's no way I would eat that.....but I tried it, and it was awesome! It's all in how the meat is processed I guess.
On Saturdays he's with the family, battling the weekend Wal-Mart crowds, and finding new places to go eat, and on Sunday afternoons he's on the couch, just one of 3 adults, begging the kids to play quietly so we can all take a nap. ;) He's part of our family now. Jack includes Dylan in his prayers every night, and Jess is always asking where "Di-wen" is, or what he's doing. He even prefers to sit with "Di-wen"during church. It has been nice, having an increase in the ratio of adults to kids!!!!

At 6' 5", Dylan has a very unfair "coolness" advantage over Jake and I. He's VERY tall. The boys think that his height is extremely impressive, and remind us every day that we are not as big as Dylan. We don't have hands as big as he does, or feet as big as his. In a child's eyes I guess these things are crucial when trying to be cool. Someday Jack will realize he doesn't even have a chance, but for now his goal is to be as big and as tall as Dylan.

We have really enjoyed having Dylan around. He is so sweet with the boys, and he's a great friend to Jake and I. He came here without his wife Sierra (who had to stay in Boise), and we can't wait until she comes to visit, and we can spend more time with her as well. It's been great to have "family" with us all the time, and we are very thankful he made the choice to come down here. The last two weeks with him have been awesome, and we're looking forward to the rest of the summer!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you guys for letting me be apart of your family! I have felt so welcome!