Sunday, May 29, 2011

Each of us

Since I'm using this blog as our journal of the summer. I figure that I should some information about what each of us are doing individually! All of this information seems so inconsequential now, but I am told (by my wonderful husband) that it will mean a lot to me later.


Jack
He is soooo busy growing up right now. He wants to know everything, and isn't ever afraid to ask a question. His strong areas of knowledge are in reading and speech right now. At 3 years old, he is currently reading at a first grade level, and is able to spell out loud any word that you ask him (words that he would be able to read of course). He likes to explain word sounds to us- for example, this morning, he said,"C H says *ch* as in Chair or Cheese". He also is very attuned to social cues. If he's just making loud babbling noises that don't make any sense and I tell him to stop he says "Is it because I am being annoying? Should I talk using words?" He wants to know the reason behind everything I tell him, and then he logs those reasons away in his mind. Jack is also a brilliant salesman. I heard him asking Jake yesterday morning "Daddy, would you like to pour me a glass of juice, or make me Ramen noodles? Which one do you want to do first?" Assume the sale. Speaking of Ramen Noodles- That's his very favorite food right now, and just about the only thing I can get him to eat consistently. We are hoping that changes soon! He is very particular about his food, despite my attempts to hide my pickyness. He will only eat Green (key lime pie) yogurt, and he likes the healthy low fat popcorn (mommy popcorn), and not regular butter (daddy popcorn). He likes all of his foods separate, no casseroles for this guy! His math skills amaze me. He can count to 100, and do simple addition and subtraction. Jack is in such a sweet stage right now. He tells me everyday that he loves me, and he kisses my hand (or my arm, or my knee, or whatever is closest). He says that baby Jess is his best friend, and is always looking out for his well being. He is logical, sensitive, funny, and intelligent. I am so glad that Jack is a member of our family!


Jess

This little man is always going. He will run whenever he has the chance, and has no regard for his own safety!! He is the child that is going to cause my early grey hair and eventual heart attack! He is neither shy or quiet. He will talk to anyone, and when he laughs EVERYONE can hear him! He loves to do just about anything Jack is doing, and has taken an interest in letters, sounds, and words. Anywhere we go, there is a constant narration from Jess. He tells us every letter he sees, on signs, magazines, peoples shirts etc. He always wants to know what word the letters spell. He can sometimes sound out words, because he knows the sounds of every letter in the alphabet. He loves to read books and sing songs. The alphabet song and the "sunbeam" song are his favorites right now. His favorite food is probably a tie between raisins and goldfish. Jess is certain about what he wants when he asks for it- and won't be distracted by other available options. One day this last week I told them that if they ate all of their lunch, they could have some sour patch kids candy. Half an hour later as I was cleaning up the table and getting their treats, I decided that I'd rather give them Twizzlers instead. When I presented Jess with his treat he said "No. I said I want the kids." I would think that most 1 year olds would be happy with any type of treat, but not Jess. He is our rough and tumble kid. Always jumping, always wrestling, always WILD! He is our little computer genius. He can navigate all of the preschool websites by himself, and if he gets sick of one, he know how to close it out and choose a different one. He really wants an I Pad now that he has played with uncle Dylan's! He can control the Wii all by himself, and choose his own games and his Mii. I am always surprised how accurate he is with the Wii controller! Jess is funny, smart, wild, and his little face melts our hearts.


Jake

Jake is definitely in his prime at 30 years old. He is still making me laugh every day. He is more handsome than ever, and has figured out who he is and what he wants in life. Despite his resistance to working in sales for the past 5 years, after trying just about everything else- he has realized that he is good at sales, and enjoys it. He loves talking to people, and can quickly gain their trust. He talks about working out every day- but always ends up getting distracted by the boys wanting to play with him. :) He loves to read, but hasn't gotten much of a chance this summer, except for a few minutes each morning and evening before or after work. He has been working extremely hard for the past few months in the Dallas metroplex, and he really likes the people and the enormity of the area. For some strange reason he loves the HEAT. When it's around 100 degrees outside and 80% humidity, he's completely content. Jake can live anywhere and be happy. As the kids have grown, Jake's "Dad skills" have grown along with them. He is the best dad and husband I could hope for. Every morning since we have been here in Texas, he has gotten up when the kids get up and makes them scrambled eggs. Any minute he's not working, he's spending time with the kids. He's the most supportive husband I could hope for, and I love him more and more every day.

Jana

If there's one word that I could use to describe my experience since I have moved to Texas, it would be realization. I have come to the realization that there IS life outside of Boise Idaho. At 26, I have realized that moving away from my parents and becoming more independent was the best thing that I have done as a mother and a wife. I have learned to think "I can." I formerly thought that all I ever wanted was stability. I wanted Jake to have a secure job. I wanted to buy a house and never move. Now I love our freedom. I enjoy Jake being able to choose the best opportunities for work every 6 months. I don't have any interest in settling down anywhere, because I am enjoying our freedom to move whenever we want. I thought I would really miss working, but I have realized that what I really miss is working with Mike, Mikayla, & Austin. I have loved the opportunity to teach my boys. I feel like we are the three musketeers, out to conquer the afternoons of the summer. I have started reading again, and the books I have read have been all business education oriented. I have realized that I am a PC gal. I bought a MAC pro, and after a short while, returned it. I enjoy designing websites. I have lost the desire to eat meat for the most part. I have experienced more new things in the last 3 months, than I have in the last 3 years, and it's been the happiest time of my life.


5 comments:

Fossil Photo / Curtis and Shauna said...

It's so fun to see that your children are excelling so well at such a young age!! And fun to learn a little of all of you. You all seam so happy and loving life, I love it!! You inspire me to be a better mother and to really enjoy all that is around us, especially family. Reading this made me think that even though everyone has differences and many unique situations (there are many "right" ways to do things), we should all accept our own ways, to be still and strengthen ourselves and where Heavenly Father has directed us to be! Thank you! I needed this!!

Juli said...

Although Jess' comment was slightly cannibalistic, it was hysterical! I miss my boys! I am excited to see you guys soon! Love you!

Jake, Jana, Jack and Jess said...

I am sooooo glad that what I write could be inspiring, or have a positive impact in any way on someone!!! I am definitely not perfect. I am not ALWAYS happy, but I have been happier in the last 3 months than ever before because I decided to have the attitude of gratitude! :) You are an amazing mother Shauna, and nobody knows how to take care of your family better than you. Thanks for your comment....it means a lot to me. :)

Unknown said...

I am missing you all so much every time I read your blog. I can't wait to see you... and especially can't wait to have a jet and fly to visit you whenever I want! :) Fabulous post Jana!!!

Jake, Jana, Jack and Jess said...

We had better be one of the first visits you make in your jet Erin!!! :)